The Mountain Science Expo focuses on how Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (STEAM) are incorporated into our everyday lives. Come experience hands on demonstrations and experiments with professionals from Asheville Greenworks, RiverLink, WNC Nature Center, and so many more! This year’s event will feature Science Fair exhibits from more than 25 Western North Carolina school students who participated in the Project EXPLORE program.
From professional scientists and naturalists, to local businesses and organizations, Mountain Science Expo will explore the active science community in the mountains and where participants can find STEAM in their everyday lives.
ecoEXPLORERS who earn their Botany Badge receive a free invitation to the event and will have the opportunity to meet Botany Science Mentor Joe-Ann McCoy to learn how she collects and studies plants and tour her laboratory.
PLUS: ecoEXPLORERS are invited to enter the Citizen Science Contest to compete for over $1,000 in prizes! Open to all ecoEXPLORERS! Choose any plant or animal you have observed. Create a tri-fold poster presentation that can include the following:
· Photos of the organism along with a map of where you found it and info on when you observed it.
· Maps that show where the organism is found in your region or state.
· Seasonal, or phenology information (when it hibernates, migrated, etc.).
· Other observations from iNaturalist.org.
· Any threats to the population and the places it lives.
· Ways people can help conserve the organism.
· Any art, photography or additional information you want to include
· POSTERS ARE DUE AT THE ARBORETUM BY 4:00 PM, 4/5/17.
· Winners will be announced at the Mountain Science Expo, 4/8/17.